Home furnishing can be difficult without the help of an expensive interior designer. Choosing a style is hard enough, but knowing how to create that style can be even harder!
Use these tips to create whichever look you want, decorating your home in the style that best suits you.
Step #1: Choose a Style
Here are some ideas of different styles you can use to decorate your whole house or just one room:
* Cottage: This home furnishing style calls to mind a cosy cottage tucked away in the country or by a lake. ‘Cottage style’ means white couches and chairs, or white wicker furniture with floral printed cushions. Pastel colours, soft lighting, and gauzy curtains create the cottage look, as do antique accessories and patchwork quilts. Complete the look with landscaping: nothing says country cottage like a stone walkway and a garden full of flowers and herbs!
* Oriental: As the name implies, this style invokes the simple and sleek lines of the Orient. Less is more with this look, so choose pieces like teak and lacquered tables, armoires, and coffee tables sparingly. Accessorize with Oriental rugs, silk prints, and pictures of dragons or Japanese seascapes.
* Traditional: This classic home furnishing style is elegant but not extravagant. Floral patterns look great on your couches, as do plaids and damasks. Heavy drapes and mahogany dining room tables also work well with this look.
* Victorian: This style will make your house look as beautiful and stately as the mansions of Victorian England! Choose small but elegant couches and wooden armchairs with silk covered cushions in striped or simple floral patterns. Do not be shy with velvet and rich brocades. Porcelain and dried flowers will also help you get this look across nicely.
* Mediterranean: This home decorative style conjures the Italian and French seaside. Think warm yellows and earth tones, as well as simple patterns set off by blue and gold accents. Chunky, natural wood tables fit right in, as do patterns of sunflowers or ships.
Step #2: Don’t Ignore the Outside Areas
If you’re lucky enough to have a garden, make sure you’re making the most of it!
Untidy outside spaces can undermine everything you’ve done to ensure your interiors are amazing. So be sure to clean up any mess or debris that may be cluttering up your gardens, trim and prune any trees, bushes, and plants that are growing. If this is something you will struggle to handle yourself, consider hiring a professional team – like myrtlebeachlawncare.com for example.
Having old, fading, and splintered fencing line your property can also be extremely unsightly, so be sure to regularly maintain the materials that are marking your boundaries. And if necessary, replace them with a new fence supply when the existing structures become too degraded to restore.
Step #3: Enhance Your Home
Whatever style you choose, use the following elements wisely to achieve the maximum effect from your decorative style.
* Lighting: Stay away from halogen and overhead lighting, both of which can create harsh light and therefore harsh shadows. Instead, choose lamps with bases that fit your style and taste. Track lighting and sconces also provide nice lighting solutions.
* Colour: Colour is one of the easiest and most effective ways to enhance any style. When choosing paint, think about practicality as well as décor – bright colours energize and light colours soothe. Creams, beiges, and pastels create the illusion of more space, whereas dark, rich reds and blues make a bold statement.
* Texture: Texture is an often overlooked element, yet it is crucial when creating the style of your choice. Textured walls evoke a natural, native, earthy feel. Smooth walls are more elegant, traditional, and will reflect more light, creating a brighter room. Be careful, though, because if a floor is textured with tiles, stone, or wood flooring, it can make the room look small. With a large enough room, however, texturing your floor with tile, wood or stone is an excellent way to instantly create a ‘look’.
Redecorating On a Budget Is Possible Too!
When restyling your home, choose the look and the decor that feels right for you. Even if your budget doesn’t allow you to renovate your entire home, choose a few important furniture pieces (e.g. couches, tables etc.) that will set the tone for the whole space.
Finally, accessorize along the lines of the decorative style you have chosen, and your new look will be complete!
About Kleen and Fresh
Kleen and Fresh is a carpet and upholstery cleaning business which services Milton Keynes,
Bletchley, Bedford, Loughton, Newport Pagnell and the surrounding areas. A family business
dedicated to providing the highest quality service, Kleen and Fresh will restore your home
environment back to its best condition.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behaviour or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.